Thursday, January 4, 1990

MY BABY CAME BACK | The Memory Brothers

CLICK BELOW TO PLAY SONG:


writer: Doug Koempel
albums: Waiting for your Love (BOF-67) 1990
Somebody's Searchin' (Minotaur RMT-J-1993) 1993
artists: the Memory Brothers
publishing: Blue Baker Music BMI



  • lead and background vocals: Doug Koempel
  • keyboards/synthesizer and all backing tracks (Korg M-1): Doug
  • all sequencing and drum programming done on the Korg M-1
  • recorded at: Bird-On-Fire Recording Studio / West Union, Iowa

Doug's notes:


I wrote "My Baby Came Back" in the late '80s. It was inspired after having received a phone call from an old friend whom I hadn't seen in over ten years. As I recall, the song came together very quickly; and I worked up the arrangement using the internal sequencer (recorder) of my trusty Korg M-1 keyboard. I ended up liking that rough demo track so well that I decided to use it for the final recording for our 1990 album Waiting for your Love.

While shopping the song around, Minotaur Records (an independent label based out of California), signed the song to their publishing as part of a 1993 album deal. I re-recorded the vocal for that album (Somebody's Searchin') but kept the original background vocals and backing track that I'd done on the M-1. However, I never liked the second vocal as well as the initial vocal. It might have been a little more polished, but it just didn't fit in as well as the original vocal (which you are currently listening to.)

"My Baby Came Back" was also released as a single and eventually hit the radio waves in southern California during the summer and fall of 1991. This airplay was a result of having initially landed on the playlist of a radio station in Ridgecrest, California due to some relentless campaigning by our good friend and ace promoter Lois Rute (who at the time was a resident of Ridgecrest.)

Ironically the most substantial airplay for this single took place not in California but, of all places, in Australia thanks to the promotional efforts of the record label. The song was also a winner in both the 1993 and 1998 Billboard Song Contests.




click below to listen to "My Baby Came Back."


No comments:

Post a Comment