Friday, February 22, 2013

LET ME ROLL IT | The Memory Brothers

CLICK BELOW TO PLAY SONG:



writers: Paul and Linda McCartney
album: Feelin' Alright (BOF-94) 2013
artists: the Memory Brothers
publishing: MPL Music Publishing




  • lead vocal: Doug Koempel
  • background vocals: Jeni Grouws, Christopher Jon and Doug
  • lead guitar: Dave Christopherson
  • Farfisa organ, Wurlitzer A200 and bass: Doug
  • backing tracks programmed and played by Doug
               sequenced on Sonar 3.1 Producer Edition
               VSampler 3; EZdrummer; VI.One; Yamaha NP-V80

  • recorded at: Bird-On-Fire Recording Studio / West Union, Iowa

Doug's notes:

When I was a teenager my friends and I were huge fans of the Beatles. We avidly followed their music from the early, "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" era.all the way through to the group's breakup in 1970.

We Beatles aficionados eagerly anticipated what new music might come from the solo Beatles after they went their separate ways. The first offering was Paul McCartney's eponymous solo release McCartney in April of 1970 followed by George Harrison's All Things Must Pass album in November of 1970.

I remember sitting in the student lounge at my Iowa City dorm carefully giving McCartney (the album) its first listen. And I remember feeling disappointed that, other than "Maybe I'm Amazed," it didn't sound like the Beatles. And although I really liked Harrison's All Things Must Pass, it too didn't really sound like the Beatles either. Even though I knew my favorite group had officially disbanded, I still didn't want to let go of their music!

What I and many other Beatles' fans ultimately discovered over those post-Beatles years was that although the Fab Four was gone forever, the individual members would continue making music - some of which would be so-so and some would be absolutely brilliant.

And indeed "brilliant" would be the adjective that aptly applies to an obscure tune off McCartney's third solo album, Band on the Run released in December of 1973. The last cut on side one was a John Lennon-like gem featuring vocals drenched in slap-back delay and backed by a shimmering Farfisa organ.

"Let Me Roll It" has some 40 years later become one of McCartney's mainstays in his live concerts. Its chorus never fails to propel the audience into a trance-like singalong.

It was with a little trepidation that I decided to record this song. I was hesitant to tread on such sacred ground but couldn't resist the temptation to try our hand at such a classic tune. With a little help from our friends, including some amazing background vocals by Jeni Grouws, the guitar artistry of Dave Christopherson and the warble of my trusty Farfisa organ, I think we came up with a respectable version.



No comments:

Post a Comment